Book Lover Resources, Advice for Writers and Publishers
Writing & Publishing / Advice / Posting to E-Mail Lists and Newsgroups
Posting to E-Mail Lists and Newsgroups
- Read the FAQ for the list and any other intro
- Monitor the list for a while to get a feel for the type and level of discussion. Pick out who the
key people are, who the trouble makers are, etc.
- If the list wants an intro from you, wait to post it until after you have a feel for the list
- Consider introducing yourself directly to the list moderator (if there is one). Offer to send
them a book. Again, wait to see what their personality is like. They might feel like the expert of
the list, or the dictator.
- After you have a sense for the list personality, wait for a question that you can provide useful
information for and then contribute. Simply have your title listed in your sig file.
- Try to work with people from the list, outside of the list. If you can build up a few fans
personally, they will tout your expertise and book on the list for you!
- As you can probably tell from the lists you belong to, people get a very strong sense of
community, along with a pecking order, and they don't take kindly to strangers blasting in
promoting their stuff. Take it slow, and win a few people over at a time.
Don Best, The Author's Guide to Marketing Your Book
James A. Cox
Midwest Book Review
278 Orchard Drive
Oregon, WI 53575-1129
Site design by Williams Writing, Editing &