Book Lover Resources, Advice for Writers and Publishers
Writing & Publishing / Advice / Amazon Book Review Guidelines
Amazon Book Review Guidelines
A review posted on the Amazon.com web site will reach a larger audience than one printed, published or posted on any other newspaper, periodical, publication, or web site. On the basis of our experience and expertise, reviewers, authors, and publishers should be aware of the following guidelines when seeking to post reviews to the Amazon.com web site -- as well as how to remove posted reviews from the Amazon.com website should that be felt necessary.
The recommended length of a Reader Review is 75 to 300 words.
The reviewer comment should focus on the book itself.
Reviewers must also include a valid e-mail address, but can opt not to display their e-mail address if they do not want others to have access to it.
The best reviews include not only whether the reviewer liked or disliked a product, but also why. The reviewer should feel free to mention other books that are considered to be similar and how this particular book rates in comparison to them.
Reviewers must limit themselves to one book review per a particular title. But reviewers can post as many book reviews for as many books as they wish.
Amazon.com is willing to provide this forum for book reviewers to air their opinions on your favorite (or not-so-favorite) books. Review commentaries help increase 'web traffic' and spur book sales on their web site.
While Amazon.com appreciates a reviewer's time and comments, they require that reviewers refrain from including the following in their book reviews:
1. Comments on other reviews or features visible on the book's Amazon.com web page. (This information, and its position on the page, is subject to change without notice.)
2. Notification that the Amazon.com web page for a book has typos in it about that title. If you'd like to inform them about a specific problem and it's proper correction, contact Amazon.com by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Profanity, obscenities, or spiteful remarks in a book review are to be avoided at all times.
4. Time-sensitive information such as book or author related promotional tours, seminars, lectures, etc. should be noted.
5. No single-word reviews. Amazon.com wants to know why the reviewer liked or disliked the book. A reviewer's comments should not focus solely on the authors or publishers, but address the merits and demerits of the book itself as well.
6. No spoilers! Please don't reveal crucial plot elements. This is basic book reviewer etiquette 101.
7. Include publisher phone numbers, mail addresses, and web site addresses.
8. Availability, price, or alternative ordering/shipping information should also be included.
Any review in violation of these guidelines might not be accepted for posting and/or could be removed from the Amazon.com web site at any time at their discretion.
Authors and publishers who feel a posted review of their work is unfair, misleading or fraudulent can request it to be removed. Specify your objection and email it to Amazon.com at email@example.com
James A. Cox
Midwest Book Review
James A. Cox
Midwest Book Review
278 Orchard Drive
Oregon, WI 53575-1129
Site design by Williams Writing, Editing &